About the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar
Planning an event at the Nicholas School? One of the most critical aspects of a successful event is timing. Even with the most successful marketing campaign, if your audience is split amongst multiple simultaneous events, turn-out will be poor.
The Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar is designed to minimize event scheduling conflicts.
To help you select the best date and time, The Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar displays:
- Nicholas School events
- The Duke academic calendar
- Major Duke and sporting events
- Major national and religious holidays
The entire Nicholas School community, including faculty, staff, and student groups are asked to use the calendar. Other Duke-affiliated groups are encouraged to consult and use it as well.
Organizations, groups, and events which receive funding from the Dean’s office, are REQUIRED to use the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar to clear a date for events.
Keep in mind that the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar is strictly a planning tool. It is not for promotion.
How To Use the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar
Clearing a date through the Event Planning Calendar takes just a few easy steps
1. Consult the Event Planning Calendar when selecting the date for your event
2. Schedule the event in your personal Outlook calendar. Please include the following information in the body of your event:
- Department or School Sponsor:
- Individual Contact Person:
- Event Time:
- Projected audience:
- Projected attendance:
- URL/link to event:
- Other Details:
3. Invite the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar to the event
4. Send the calendar
Expect a response from the Calendar within two business days.
After the date has been cleared, your event will appear on the calendar and others can plan around it.
New to Outlook? Questions? Check out our detailed step-by-step instructions for additional info:
- Detailed instructions for use with Outlook – Click here.
- Detailed instructions for use with Outlook Web Access -Click here.
The Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar and Microsoft Outlook
The Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar operates through Microsoft Outlook. Use your NetID and password to login. If you do not already have Microsoft Outlook downloaded on your computer, you have a number of options:
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) – Outlook can be accessed via the web from any computer without downloading the program (https://exchange.oit.duke.edu/owa).
Detailed instructions on how to use the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar via OWA can be found here.
- Download Outlook – If you have Office 10, contact IT to receive a key and instructions on how to download the program to your own computer. You can use Outlook without buying it until you graduate.
Detailed instructions on how to use the Nicholas School Event Planning Calendar via Outlook can be found here.
- Buy Outlook – you can buy a key to Outlook for only $10 at the Duke Computer Store. Outlook will be yours to use forever.