Our Graduates

Graduates of the Nicholas School of the Environment make a difference every day. They are employed around the world and across all sectors. They are in business, not-for-profit organizations, consulting firms, government agencies, research institutions, think tanks, and entrepreneurial enterprises.

We invited the 157 December 2014 and May 2015 graduates of the MEM and MF programs to participate in an annual employment survey of recent graduates. We received 101 responses to the employment survey for a 64% response rate.  Here we present summary data of employment regions and employment sectors.

Among the 101 respondents, 98 (97%) are employed. Two recent graduates are pursuing additional graduate studies and one is seeking employment.

For a summary of our latest graduating class, take a look at the latest Employment Profile (PDF) >

EMPLOYMENT SNAPSHOT – CLASS OF 2015

These statistics are based on employment surveys sent to MEM and MF alumni six months after graduation.

2015-bysector.gif

 

2015-byregion.gif

 

Salaries

Salaries vary widely depending on the type of employer, individual qualifications, previous experience, and job location. Recent MEM/MF graduates reported salaries ranging from under $40,000 to over $130,000. For December 2014 and May 2015, the median salary was $62,500.

SECTOR Median
MEM/MF
Median
Dual Degree
Academic Institution $45K N/A
Business / Industry $75K $115K
Consulting $62.5K $62.5K
Entrepreneur / Start-up $47.5K $130K+
Federal Government $52.5K $47.5K
Law / Legal $67.5K N/A
Non-profit / NGO $52.5K $77.5K
Research Institute / Think tank $42.5K N/A
State / Local Government $62.5K N/A
     
PROGRAM AREA Median
MEM/MF
Median
Dual Degree
Coastal Environmental Management (CEM) $52.5K $62.5K
Ecosystem Science and Conservation (ESC) $50K $62.5K
Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health (EEH) $72.5K N/A
Energy and Environment (EE) $72.5K $120K
Environmental Economics and Policy (EEP) $52.5K $72.5K
Global Environmental Change (GEC) $57.5K N/A
Water Resources Management (WRM) $60K N/A
     
Duke Environmental Leadership (online) $82.5K  
MEM/MBA $115K  
MEM/MF $62.5K  

10-YEAR EMPLOYMENT PROFILE

In 2013, we conducted a special alumni survey to see where our graduates had landed over a 10-year period. Of 323 respondents from the graduating classes of 2002-2012, 96% reported having careers directly or closely related to their MEM or MF degree, with only 4% reporting careers unrelated to the environment.

Of these alumni, 89% were gainfully employed. The remaining 11% were either pursuing additional education, currently in the job market, or not seeking employment.