Emergency Management Information
The Durham campus of the Nicholas School has recently convened an Emergency Management Team to develop an emergency management plan. The Marine Lab has an independent Emergency Management Team and emergency management plan that serves the Beaufort campus. The two teams will work together to ensure consistency and coverage for both locations.
The Emergency Management Teams will work closely with Duke University Police Department and the Nicholas community to develop response plans, education opportunities, security reviews and building safety assessments.
Our goal is to make sure the Nicholas community continues to be a safe and welcoming environment by maintaining awareness, safety practices and the knowledge of how to respond. As we continue to work through the development of this plan, we want to inform you of some measures you can currently take as well as pass along some other helpful information.
Items you should do today for emergency support and communications in Durham:
- Program Duke Police emergency number in your phone – (919) 684-2444
- If you call 911 from your cellphone the call will go to Durham Police, not Duke Police
- If you call 911 from a Duke landline (office phone) it will go to Duke Police
- Sign up for Duke Mobile App so you can text with Duke Police through the Emergency icon and have up to date Duke Emergency information on your phone
- Sign up for LiveSafe mobile app that offers real-time, two-way communications with Duke Police.
- Sign up for Duke Alert text messaging to receive messages regarding emergencies, closure or security alerts
- Use Duke Vans for off hour transportation instead of walking alone.
- Sign up your devices for DukeBlue (Duke’s secure wireless network for on campus)
- Sign up your devices for Eduroam (Duke’s secure wireless network for off campus)
Links to Duke emergency and security information:
- For emergency status and university plans
- Duke Police
- Non-emergency and anonymous crime reporting
- Duke Police Safety Tips
- Resources for Student Emergency circumstances
- Duke IT Security Office
Contact the Nicholas Emergency Management team at email@example.com
- Melissa Chernick, Research Technician II
- Anne Davis, Administrative Services Manager
- Jeanne Ryan, HR Manager
- Laura Lipps, Student Services Staff Specialist
- Stephanie Martinek, Director of Digital Strategy
- Nancy Kelly, Director of Conferences & Special Events
- John Robinson, Assistant Dean of IT and Facilities
- Charlotte Nunez-Wolff, COO/Sr. Associate Dean for Admin and Finance
- Student Representatives, TBD