Hurricane Florence made landfall on the North Carolina coast on Friday, Sept. 14, causing wind damage and flooding across the Carolinas. The Duke University Marine Lab campus in Beaufort, N.C., is fully operational and is in the process of repairing the damage incurred during the storm.
Duke Marine Lab Update
- Our normal class schedule has resumed as of Monday, Oct. 1. We are maintaining our normal academic calendar, including Fall and Thanksgiving breaks. The Panama field course will go on as scheduled.
- We have secured housing while we refurbish our dorms for our residential undergrad students, as well as those from UNC's Institute of Marine Sciences.
- The Boathouse, Pilkey Lab, Social Science Cottage, Library, Auditorium, and Student Center will be open for business as usual on Monday, Sept. 24.
- Please be mindful of construction personnel from After Disaster that are actively working around around campus.
- Please note that some areas of campus will remain closed and will be designated with orange safety cones and signage.
- Community Day has been postponed until after Fall Break.
- The seawater system is operational and the algae ponds are up and running.
Buildings Currently Open
- Bookhout Research Lab
- Repass Center (Lecture and Lab)
- Pilkey Lab
- Library and Auditorium Building, including Conference Room A, B, C
- Student Center
- Dining Hall
- Admin mailroom and Ship's Store
- Facilities Maintenance
- Social Science Cottage
Buildings being repaired through October
- Marine Operations
- Marine Lab Docks
- Dorms 1-6
- Lab 1
- Lab 2
- Lab 5
- Admin (except for mailroom)
- Drone Lab
If you have questions about student concerns, please reach out to your respective student coordinators:
- Undergraduate: Katie Wood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MEM: Park Watson (email@example.com) or Sherri Nevius (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PhD: Rachel Lo Piccolo (email@example.com)
- Rebecca Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) is available for other questions.
- Business Office staff are located in Pilkey 104B.
- The rest of the Administrative team can be found in Repass Teaching Lab.
Aerial view of the initial damage (taken in September)
Courtesy of Marine Robotics and Remote Sensing Lab