I Am Duke Environment Photo Contest: Official Contest Rules
Fall 2017 Contest opens 9am April 17 and closes 11:59pm April 28.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Entrants must have a direct affiliation with the Nicholas School of the Environment, i.e. be an alumnus, current student, faculty or staff member, Board of Visitors member, or donor. Duke University employees involved in the administration of the Contest, as well as immediate family/same household members of anyone so employed or engaged, are not eligible for prize awards. Participation in the Contest constitutes Contestants’ full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and the Sponsor’s decisions that are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
2. TO ENTER: Participate in the "I am Duke Environment" Photo Contest and show and tell us how YOU are representing Duke Environment! I am Duke Environment is a photo social media campaign to share the faces and voices of the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University as part of our efforts to showcase the experiences the Nicholas School community and friends for the Nicholas School. The I am Duke Environment Photo Contest celebrates the diverse experiences of our Nicholas School community members, locally and globally, and showcases YOU!
Photo entries must showcase engaging images of individuals affiliated with the Duke Environment community and be accompanied with a brief supporting quotation that creatively explains how the photograph's subject(s) represent "Duke Environment" in their professional or personal lives. In other words, show and tell us how you or friends are "forging a sustainable future" wherever you are right now and in whatever you are doing! Photos should be of you in your typical workplace environment, out in the field, at home, traveling or volunteering. We are looking for active photos of you doing something, so while we would like to see your face, you do not have to be posed or fully facing the camera!
You can submit photos of yourself or others; specific guidelines apply to each. *Please note that we will not consider photos resubmitted from previous I am Duke Environment photo contests. To participate in the contest, you must obtain consent for use from all photo subjects and possess full rights to all photos submitted. Make your photo and quote creative and engaging, and you could win an iPad or a $100 Amazon.com gift certificate. CREATIVE and ENGAGING are the operative words!
- Capture a photo of yourself or others that showcases how "you are Duke Environment." Adjust your camera to the highest resolution, e.g. 10 MP.
- Fill out our contest submission form and upload your photo.
- Being creative and engaging gives you a better shot at winning.
Contest winners will be posted on the official Web site.
Contest winners will be showcased on the Nicholas School website and on electronic displays throughout Environment Hall and the Duke Marine Laboratory. All submitted photos and quotations may be used on the school’s web and social media sites, and in publications and various promotions.
To be officially entered into the "I am Duke Environment" Fall Photo Contest, you must complete the following steps:
- Choose appropriate photos to submit.
Photo entries must be of individuals affiliated with the Duke Environment community. YOU MUST OBTAIN CONSENT FOR USE FROM ALL PHOTO SUBJECTS AND POSSESS FULL RIGHTS TO ALL PHOTOS SUBMITTED. Prizes will be awarded to contest entrant only.
- Compose or obtain accompanying quotation.
Quotation should be 1 – 5 sentences and creatively explain how the photograph's subject(s) represent "Duke Environment" in their professional or personal lives.
- Fill out the contest submission form.
You will need to share your Nicholas School affiliation as well as that of the photo's subject (if the photo is of someone else), as well as the location the photo was taken.
- Upload your photos.
Please upload all photos in .jpg format at the highest resolution (e.g. 10 MP) available. Label each photo you wish to upload lastname_firstname_photo#. (Example: Doe_Jane_Photo2.jpg) The photo# should match the order in which you uploaded the photos with their respective permission forms. To submit multiple photos, fill out the form again for your next image. If you are in a location with poor internet access and have trouble loading the submission form, you may email your photo and entry information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission forms must be completed and photos uploaded by the end of the contest. Failure to complete one of the aforementioned four steps will disqualify your entry from the contest.
You may enter multiple submissions as long as the same submission is not uploaded more than once. *Please note that we will not consider photos resubmitted from previous I am Duke Environment photo contests.
3. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY: As conditions of entry into this Contest and by uploading and entering a Submission, Entrant warrants and represents that the Submission is original and has been legally created and does not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights or any other legal or moral rights of any third party. Entrant represents that he/she owns all rights to his/her Submission. Entrant further represents and warrants that the Entrant has obtained permission from each person whose name, image, likeness and/or quote ("Likeness") is included in the Submission, and that such person(s) have granted Entrant all necessary rights to use the person's Likeness as described in these rules, and that Entrant can make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request. By uploading a Submission, Entrant irrevocably grants Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual right and permission to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, display adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), the Entrant's Submission, including, but not limited to, the quotation accompanying the photograph (in each case, as submitted or as edited/modified in any way by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion), as well as to use Entrant's name, likeness, photograph (collectively, "Likeness"), and/or statements regarding his/her participation in this Contest (with or without using the Entrant's name) in any and all media without limitation as to time or territory, and without additional compensation or approval from the Entrant or any other party. Entrant waives intellectual property rights, privacy/publicity rights or other legal or moral rights that might preclude the Sponsor's use of the submission, and agrees not to sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor for the use of the Submission or Entrant's Likeness or statements. Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold Sponsor, its agencies and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Indemnities"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Indemnities due to or arising out of the Entrant's Submission, or the Entrant's conduct in creating a Submission or otherwise in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to claims for trademark infringement, copyright infringement; violation of an individuals right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation. Entrant further agrees to release Sponsor from any and all claims that any advertising subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of Sponsor infringes Entrant's rights with regard to any elements, characters or ideas contained in any submission.
4. SUBMISSION FORMAT AND CONTENT REQUIREMENTS:
- Creative Assignment: The "I am Duke Environment" Photo Contest celebrates the diverse experiences of our Nicholas School community members, locally and globally, and showcases YOU! Photo entries must showcase engaging images of individuals affiliated with the Duke Environment community and be accompanied with a brief supporting quotation that creatively explains how the photograph's subject(s) represent "Duke Environment" in their professional or personal lives. In other words, show and tell us how you or friends are "forging a sustainable future" wherever you are right now and in whatever you are doing! Photos should be of you in your typical workplace environment, out in the field, at home, traveling or volunteering. We are looking for active photos of you doing something, so while we would like to see your face, you do not have to be posed or fully facing the camera! You can submit photos of yourself or others; specific guidelines apply to each. To participate in the contest, you must obtain consent for use from all photo subjects and possess full rights to all photos submitted. Make your photo and quote creative and engaging, and you could win an iPad or a $100 Amazon.com gift certificate. CREATIVE and ENGAGING are the operative words!
- Technical Requirements: Be sure to take photos at the highest resolution your camera has (e.g. 10 MP, 15 MP). Your submitted photos must be in jpeg. file format.
- Additional Requirements: You may submit as many photos as you like. Once you complete and submit your photos, your Submission is final and may not be modified or edited without permission from Sponsor. No Submissions will be returned. The person who uploads the photo contest submission form and the name of that person on the Contest Registration form for the Submission must match, and that person will be deemed the entrant ("Entrant”). Each Entrant must notify the Sponsor via the submission form that they have entered the contest, including their name, e-mail address, phone number, Nicholas School affiliation, photograph locations, and the names (and, if applicable, Nicholas School affiliations) of all individuals pictured in the photograph. If any group of individuals elects to collaborate on a Submission, they are required to designate one (1) representative to enter the Contest and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither Sponsor nor any of the Contest Parties are liable for any disputes between collaborators related to a Submission. Use of any photo elements that are not original or are illegally obtained may result in disqualification of Submission, in Sponsor's sole discretion.
Submissions that do not comply with these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited, or inappropriate content as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will be disqualified and will not be considered for a prize.
5. SELECTION OF WINNING ENTRIES: Up to five (5) winners will be chosen. Limit one prize per person. Submissions will be judged by a panel of impartial judges put together by the Sponsor on a volunteer basis and the winners chosen by one judge selected by the Sponsor. The winning entries will be showcased on the Nicholas School’s website and on electronic displays throughout Environment Hall and the Duke Marine Laboratory. All submitted photos and quotations may be used on the school’s web and social media sites, and in publications and various promotions.
6. PRIZES: Up to five (5) PRIZES: One (1) grand prize entry will receive an Apple iPad. Each of four (4) runner-ups will receive $100.00 Amazon.com gift certificate. The winning entries will be showcased on the Nicholas School’s website and on electronic displays throughout Environment Hall and the Duke Marine Laboratory. TOTAL ARV OF ALL PRIZES IN CONTEST IS: $800.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All winners will be required to irrevocably assign and transfer to Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in his/her Submission, including, without limitation, all copyrights, and agree to waive all moral rights in that Submission. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on their respective prizes. No substitution of prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Prizes are non-transferable. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, modify or terminate the Contest. Further, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any Sponsor; (b) violating the Official Rules; (c) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Contest Parties resulting from any user's participation in or attempt to participate in the Contest or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Contest Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the website in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the website; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an e-mail account used in connection with the Contest. Sponsor and Contest Parties are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the website. Use of website is at user's own risk. Sponsor and the Contest Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user's or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the website or the download of any information from the website. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant releases Sponsor and Contest Parties from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant's participation in the Contest. By accepting a prize in the Contest, winners agree that the Sponsor and Contest Parties shall not be liable for any loss or injury resulting from participation in the Contest, acceptance or use of any prize. Sponsor and Contest Parties are not liable in the event that any portion of the Contest is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control (a "Force Majeure Event"). Should a Force Majeure Event occur, Sponsor may, but is not obligated to, exercise commercially reasonable efforts to post winning and submitted photographs and quotations at another time or make a reasonable substitution in its sole discretion.
9. SPONSOR: Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University
If you need assistance or have any questions, contact email@example.com.