Nicholas School Board of Visitors
As part of a world-class university heralded for its interdisciplinarity, global engagement, and knowledge in the service of society, the Nicholas School is uniquely positioned to address the world’s most complex environmental challenges and to create knowledge and global leaders of consequence for a sustainable future.
To ensure that the Nicholas School remains strategically focused and successful, we engage a small group of dynamic, seasoned volunteer leaders in business, academia, government, nonprofits and philanthropy to serve as trusted advisors to the dean and senior administrative team. Through meetings, task forces, open communication, and their philanthropic support, the Nicholas School Board of Visitors provides invaluable insight, expertise and resources to keep the school on its upward trajectory.
As vital partners, Board of Visitors members:
- Attend two board meetings per year, on the Nicholas School’s Durham campus or at our Duke Marine Lab in Beaufort, NC. *
- Provide experienced counsel to the dean and senior leaders on sensitive business and strategic matters faced by the school.
- Participate on committees and/or in student recruitment, alumni engagement, fundraising or other activities in your areas of interest.
- Advocate for the Nicholas School within your professional and social circles, to raise awareness of the school’s mission, achievements and impact.
- Support the Nicholas School’s mission philanthropically, through annual fund support and other interests, as personal resources and circumstances allow.
*Members pay for their own travel and lodging; the school provides meals during these meetings.
In return for their service, Board of Visitors members:
- Gain an insider’s perspective on the world’s most pressing environmental issues and efforts to address these challenges, including first-looks at new research by our world-class faculty.
- Participate in immersive experiences in environmental areas of their highest interest.
- Meet and network with fellow board members, who are also successful leaders and drivers in a variety of fields, from all parts of the country and the world.
- Engage with current students and become inspired by the drive, depth and determination of these future environmental leaders.
- Connect with other volunteer leaders throughout Duke University.
- Gain a platform to express their environmental concerns, and the support of a community that shares their interest in protecting our environment for future generations.