The policies and guidelines listed below are intended for graduate students in the MEM, MF and DEL-MEM master's degree programs at the Nicholas School of the Environment. To browse this information by topic, visit the Master's Advising Guide.
For School policies intended for faculty and staff, please visit the Nicholas Intranet.
- Owner:Student ServicesFollow the steps in this section to register for courses at the Pratt School of Engineering, Duke Law, Fuqua School of Business and Sanford School of Public Policy.
- Owner:Student ServicesThe Nicholas School permits students to take up to two semesters of leave of absence for personal reasons upon completion of at least one semester of study.
- Owner:Student ServicesThis policy provides the Nicholas School’s process and procedure for reviewing final course grade disputes from Master of Environmental Management (MEM), Master of Forestry (MF), and Duke Environmental Leadership MEM (DEL-MEM) students.
- Owner:Student ServicesStudents may request a change to their program area of study up until the end of the first year of enrollment by submitting the Program Change Request form.
- Owner:Student ServicesMost courses have enough space for all who want to enroll, but there are a few that do tend to fill up quickly. The "tiered" registration process, where you sign up for only 12 credits on the first day of registration, is intended to give everyone a fair shot when resources are limited.
- Owner:Student ServicesAll F-1 visa students who study in the United States need a Form I-20: Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Follow these steps to obtain your I-20.
- Owner:Student ServicesView more information about required courses at the Nicholas School of the Environment.
- Owner:Student ServicesBefore you enroll in a course to satisfy prerequisites, you should verify the course meets requirements. The Registrar can assist with pre-approvals if you are unsure.
- Owner:Student ServicesLetter grades will be the default grading option for MEM and MF students for spring semester 2021. Students may opt into a Pass-Fall (P/F) grade on a course-by-course basis per this limited-time policy.
- Owner:Student ServicesApplication and acceptance to the MEM and MF degrees is possible with prerequisite deficiencies. However, although we admit applicants with missing prerequisites, we only matriculate students who are missing no more than one required prerequisite.