EOS Program Requirements
A minimum of 30 units of credit are required.
- At least 24 of which must be graded, 12 of which must be in the major subject. Courses will preferably be in EOS/ENV. All courses must be approved by the PhD committee (or advisor in Year 1).
- Courses need to be graduate level courses.
- English language courses cannot count toward graded units, but can count as ungraded units. However, they can’t account for more than 6 ungraded units.
If a graduate student joins EOS with a Master’s degree, he/she can request waiving:
- Some of the required courses but not the credits,
Or, in rare cases
- Part of the 30 credit requirements.
In both cases, a faculty vote is required. In the latter case, the student should be aware that should he/she fail to earn a PhD, he/she may not have enough credits for an EOS Master’s degree.
Required EOS courses:
- EOS 520 – Introduction to Fluid Dynamics
- EOS 540 – Introduction to Modeling in the Earth Sciences*
- EOS 567 – Analyzing Time and Space Series
*EOS540 will be waived until further notice.
Required Duke courses:
- RCR – Responsible Conduct in Research offered at various times.
12 credits required.
These are not counted in the 30 units of credit.
With the approval of their Director of Graduate Studies, master’s students may enroll in undergraduate courses at Duke University to round out their programs of study. Students pursuing a master’s degree are limited to two undergraduate courses, and they must receive a grade of B- or better to have such courses counted as part of their earned graduate credit.