Everglades Agricultural Area
The Central and Southern Florida Project for Flood Control and Other Purposes (C&SF Project) of 1948 designed a large area of the northern Everglades, south of Lake Okeechobee, to be managed for agriculture. Only a small portion of land near the Lake had been developed, leaving much room for agricultural expansion in what was a vast, nearly unbroken expanse of sawgrass. Called the Everglades Agricultural Area, it encompassed about 27% of the historic Everglades and was a major factor in the economic justification of the C&SF Project.
[Parks, Refuges & Preserves][Next]