Undergraduate Scholarships in Marine Science
August 27 - December 15, 2018
The Duke University Marine Lab is pleased to offer two semester scholarships for non-Duke undergraduates covering tuition & fees, room & board, books, travel to Beaufort, and full support for participation in a Beaufort Signature Travel Course to Panama during a semester of study, Fall 2018, in Beaufort, North Carolina. Undergraduate scholars will enroll in four Duke courses taught in Beaufort, where there is emphasis on the biology and physiology of marine organisms, marine molecular biology, marine policy, and coastal socio-ecological issues.
25 February, 2018
- Be currently enrolled as a sophomore, junior or senior in college (non-Duke)
- Be a US citizen or hold a permanent resident visa
Other factors considered in the evaluation process include whether an applicant:
- identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in marine science;
- has demonstrated interest in marine science and its impact on society;
- anticipates pursuing an advanced degree in marine science;
- submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation
Interested students are required to submit:
- Personal essay: How has your heritage made a difference in your life? How might it resonate in your work in marine science? How will a semester at the Duke University Marine Laboratory benefit your career goals?
- Two academic letters of recommendation (emailed letters are acceptable)
- Official transcript
- Undergraduate Scholarship Application
Please submit your personal essay, resume, and application together in one email. Your transcript and letters of recommendation may arrive separately.
Applications should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to:
135 Duke Marine Lab Rd.
Beaufort, NC 28516
Notification of awards will be made by 15 March 2018.
For additional information, contact: