We seek industry partners who are willing to share time and expertise to complement our students’ classroom education. Together, we can provide a range of experiential learning opportunities where our students can aptly apply their knowledge and skills, through internship opportunities, client projects and client-centered master’s projects.
We are always looking for industry partners who are willing and able to create internships for our students, be they undergraduates, masters, or professional students. Internship opportunities in all environmental sectors help to train our students in real-world situations, providing invaluable on-the-job training.
We look for semester-long projects where our students can help our partner organizations fulfill important and long-lasting organizational needs, addressing real-world problems in a professional setting.
Propose a semester project for your organization
The Social Science Surveys for Environmental Management course is in need of client projects that have a clear survey hypothesis. Student gather quantitative data and provide analysis to clients.
The Sustainable Business Strategy course is in need of clients with short-term strategic questions that can be addressed using strategic analysis tools such as stakeholder analysis, SWOT, benchmarking, multi-criteria decision analysis.
Project Scope & Requirements
Clients should have a clear scope of work which is reviewed and agreed upon prior to participation. Projects that can be completed within a semester are most desirable.
- August: Review of applications – client selected
- September: Finalize project scope
- October: Meet with students in person or virtually to provide project scope
- October-March: Meet with students to provide guidance and feedback (frequency is decided upon at the guidance of the client)
- Mid-April: Final presentation by students with a summary memo and analysis outlining recommendations
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
We ask that clients:
- Meet with student groups virtually or in person a few times throughout the semester. Clients and students agree upon expectations regarding frequency of meetings when projects begin.
- Share data sources that assist students in completing work. Work is only shared within the classroom – a confidentiality agreement will be made available to participants.
Complete the inquiry form below to begin the process of
Client-Centered Master's Projects
Client-centered Master's Projects (MPs) span approximately one year and may take the form of management plans, educational curricula, policy analyses, business plans or other deliverables. These projects are mutually beneficial, with our students achieving additional professional growth by collaborating with a real-world client, and the client receiving tangible research benefits at no cost.
Propose a master's project for your organization
Project Scope & Requirements
A Master's Project should:
- Align with interests, expertise and capabilities of students and faculty.
- Ask a well-defined environmental science, policy or management question.
- Make data available for analysis, or include a plan for assisting students in obtaining data.
- Be completed within the master's project timeline.
Clients submit project proposals by October 31. Students are matched with projects in early spring, and work begins in March. Projects last approximately one year, with final presentation in April of the student's second year.
- The organization should provide a clear point of contact who will communicate with students and respond regularly and in a timely manner.
- The client should meet with the group and the MP advisor to define the project scope, formulate a researchable problem and develop a work plan that best fits the challenge posed.
- The client should engage and commit to work with the team for the duration of the MP.
- The client should regularly provide feedback to the group throughout the MP process.
Submit Project Proposal
Fill out this online form to be considered for the next pairing of students and organizations:
For more information about master's projects, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to participate but not sure which option is best? We are always looking for innovative ways to connect our students with clients. Please get in touch and let’s talk about where we might be able to make a connection.